We’ll be posting a new challenge every day leading up to summer! Follow along here on the blog, or using this calendar.
It’s great when we find time to head to the gym or lace up our running shoes. But for a lot of us, we still spend most of the day hunched over at a desk, answering email. So today’s challenge is to target all the desk-jockeys out there: Work out at the office.
Some of you may have no problem doing jumping jacks in your cubicle, but for the rest of you, here’s some easy ways to get in some movement throughout your work day. We also recommend going back to Jenny Blake’s yoga moves you can do at a desk to add some zen to your day!
- Set yourself reminders to move! Whether you use your phone, your computer, or your Fitbit tracker, find something that will interrupt your day and remind you to move. TIP: We recommend having one set for every 45 minutes.
- Go for a walk. Everyone needs a break sometime. Next time you find yourself bored or puzzled over a problem, go take a walk. It can help clear your head, and is much healthier than a vending machine candy bar. TIP: If you already take a break to buy coffee or a snack, try to pick a shop further away than your usual route.
- Find some inconspicuous moves you can do at your desk. Try a set of simple arm stretches, or hold your legs off the floor for 30 seconds. Anything to get your muscles working will help. TIP: Fitbit integrates with apps like FitBolt that send you easy moves throughout the day.
- Make a coworker a workout buddy. You’re more likely to stay accountable when there’s someone else expecting you to go on a walk with them. Find someone else interested in a healthy break! TIP: Better yet, become their Fitbit friend and compete throughout the workday to ensure you take more steps!
- Find a quiet space to get a workout in. Here at Fitbit it’s not unusual to find a group doing squats in the hallway. But see if you can find a space where you won’t disturb people that you can get in a quick routine, like wall sits, planks, or squats. TIP: Check to see if your company is willing to sanction a quick group workout during the day. With more and more companies encouraging their employees to be active, they might love the idea!
What do you do to stay active at work? Let us know in the comments, or using #30DaysToSummerFit!