With all the negative buzz around added sugar lately, showing up at mom’s with a cake this weekend might not be the smartest move. So how do you celebrate her day without inadvertently wrecking her diet plan? Here are six simple ways to keep things sweet and make Mother’s Day even more special this year.
1. Pound the pavement – Lace up your sneakers and register the two of you for a fun run/walk in your area. (Search Eventbrite to find one near you, or plan out your own route with MapMyFitness.) A sweat session with mom is the perfect time to gab about the rest of the family and max out your Fitbit steps. Plus, the finish-line photo will totally be frame-worthy. Can’t find one? Just make a plan to go for a jog together! Or, swear it out at free local workouts led by the most talented trainers in your community.
2. Hit the farmer’s market for flowers – Sure, mom would be more than happy to get a ready-made bouquet from the grocery store. But why not take her to a farmer’s market and let her pick out her own blossoms? And while you’re there, check out the produce that’s in season. You get fresh groceries and alone time with mom—score!
3. Take her dancing – We’re willing to bet your mom’s got moves—and she’d probably love to show them off somewhere other than your cousin’s wedding. Country line dancing, square dancing (don’t knock it—it’s a ton of fun!), your favorite Zumba class…there are lots of places for you and mom to get your groove going.
4. Make dinner together – Yes, this is mom’s special day, so she shouldn’t be spending it in the kitchen cooking for everyone else. Still, that doesn’t mean you can’t ask her to share the secret family chicken recipe you’ve been dying to learn. Call ahead for the ingredients list and arrive with everything washed, prepped, and ready to go. (Pack a nice salad to serve with the meal, too.) Then watch and learn from the master mother chef! Need some recipe inspo? Check these out!
5. Two words: tandem bike – What could be more fun (um, funnier?) than a bicycle built for two? Riding a bike torches tons of calories, which will help mom burn off that breakfast in bed. And, again, think of the terrific photo ops! If you can’t seem to get the rhythm of pedaling together, you can always hop on a couple of single-seaters and tour your town with a little more autonomy.
6. Kickstart a healthy competition – Sometimes a little friendly competition is all it takes to really strengthen a bond and get fit at the same time? Here’s some inspiration to get you started on using your Fitbit with friends.
What are some of the sweet ways you celebrate your mom? Tell us in the comments below!
This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or condition. Always check with your doctor before changing your diet, altering your sleep habits, taking supplements, or starting a new fitness routine.