Whether you get into the groove with a line up of this year’s Grammy-nominated hits, or you rely on oldies-but-goodies to push you through a sweat session, you’re setting yourself up for success! Studies show listening to music while you exercise can distract you from discomfort and fatigue, elevate your mood, improve your performance, steady your pace, and help you stick with it. Need a new playlist? Here, Fitbit Ambassadors share their favorite tunes for every type of workout.
If you’re… Hitting the Gym
He’s a fan of quietly slipping more steps into everyday activities. But when it comes to sweating in the gym, celebrity fitness trainer Harley Pasternak likes to crank up the volume.
- “Real Friends” by Kanye West
- “Hotline Bling” by Drak
- “Antidote” by Travic Scott
- “Jumpman” by Drake and Future
- “U Don’t Have To Call” by Erykah Badu
- “Back to the Future (Part II)” by D’Angelo and The Vanguard
If you’re… Dancing for Cardio
Hot off her Grease Live! performance, triple threat Julianne Hough listens to more than just 1950’s pop when she moves. Here’s what’s pumping through the speakers at the Body By Simone studio where she works out.
- “7/11 (Dirty Pop Club Remix)” by Beyoncé
- “Thinking About You (Extended Edit)” by Calvin Harris, featuring Ayah Marar
- “What Now (Firebeatz Remix)” by Rihanna
- “I Got My Eye on You” by Cristian Marchi, featuring Luciana
- “Fire Under My Feet (Dzeko & Torres Remix)” by Leona Lewis
- “GDFR (Liam Summers Remix)” by Flo Rida, featuring Sage the Gemini
If you’re… Going for a Long Run
Racking up the miles can mean hours on your feet and hours inside your own head. Here’s a playlist that helps ultramarathon man Dean Karnazes pass the time.
- “California Nights” by Best Coast
- “Golden Brown” by The Stranglers
- “Ceremony” by New Order
- “Gimme Shelter” by The Rolling Stones
- “You Gotta Move” by Mississippi Fred McDowell
- “Zorba the Greek” by David Hughes and John Murphy
If you’re… Practicing Yoga
FitStar Yoga instructor Tara Stiles regularly creates playlists for her Strala Yoga students to enjoy. Think these selections are a little fast for vinyasas? Well, they don’t call her the “Yoga Rebel” for nothing.
- “Matadora” by Sofi Tukker
- “Candy Shop” by 50 Cent
- “Release” by Pearl Jam
- “Heart Skipped a Beat” by The Xx
- “Genesis” by Grimes
- “Time of the Season” by The Zombies
If you’re… Doing High Intensity Training
“I can be an old lady sometimes—but not when I’m exercising!” says Gabby Reece, host of the upcoming transformation competition series S.T.R.O.N.G. on NBC. “I like really fast paced workouts, with very strong music.”
- “Toma” by Pitbull, featuring Lil Jon
- “Check Yo Self” by Ice Cube
- “Back That Thang Up” by Jevenile, featuring Lil Wayne and Mannie Fresh
- “B.O.B.” by Outkast
- “Turn Down for What” by DJ Snake
- “Hustlin’” by Rick Ross
If you’re… Riding a Bike (Up a Mountain!)
“It’s pretty much rock and metal for me—except Republica,” says former professional cyclist Jens Voigt. “Climbing means suffering and pain, so I need some angry music to get me in the mood.”
- “Here Comes the Pain” by Farmer Boys
- “Ready to Go” by Republica
- “The Unforgiven” by Metallica
- “Goddam Devil” by Ugly Kid Joe
- “Paranoid” by Black Sabbath (Ozzy Osbourne)
- “God Was Never on Your Side” by Motörhead
Bonus track to continue the suffering:
- “I Am Machine” by Three Days Grace
If you’re… Running a Speedy Pace
When it comes to music, all-American distance runners Ryan & Sara Hall rely on these inspirational tunes to help them lift their feet and their hearts.
- “Good to be Alive (Hallelujah)” by Andy Grammar
- “Never Gonna Stop Singing” by Jesus Culture, featuring Kim Walker-Smith
- “Sun Goes Down” by Robin Schulz, featuring Jasmine Thompson
- “A Sky Full of Stars (Robyn Shultz Remix)” by Coldplay
- “Set a Fire” (Marcos Cruz Remix)” by Marcos Cruz, Jesus Culture, Marcos Cruz
- “Gotta Get Through This (D’n’D Radio Edit)” by Daniel Bedingfield
Bonus track for an especially epic run:
- “Elk Hunt (The Last of the Mohicans Original Motion Picture Score)” by Trevor Jones, Joel McNeeley and Royal Scottish National Orchestra (“Hey, don’t knock it until you try it,” says Ryan)
What do you have on repeat? Join the conversation below and share your favorite workout tunes.
This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or condition. Always check with your doctor before changing your diet, altering your sleep habits, taking supplements, or starting a new fitness routine.