I don’t mind sweating when I’m working out (that’s kind of the point!), but if I’m not hiking or dancing, I don’t want to be looking hot and bothered. That’s why I try to do everything I can to keep my cool—even during the sweltering California summer. Here’s what I do to look and feel my best, no matter how high the mercury rises.
6 Stay-Cool Beauty Tips
1. Switch to lightweight moisturizers: It’s not as dry out in the summer, so you don’t need the heavy-duty creams and lotions on your face or body. (They can end up making you look kind of greasy all over.) The lighter moisturizers feel a lot better on your skin and let it breathe. I’ve been a spokesperson for Proactiv for years, and I use Proactiv Complexion Perfecting Hydrator on my face. And for body, I love the moisturizing mists you can find—put the bottle in the fridge and it will feel amazing when you spritz your skin with it.
2. Skip thick foundation: Now is the perfect time to switch to a BB cream or tinted moisturizer—it has a more casual, breezy look than traditional foundations, but still covers up small imperfections.
3. Master the messy updo: You know what feels hot? Hair getting stuck to the back of my neck. Just thinking about it makes me break out in a sweat! I love to throw my hair up into a top knot or cool, messy braid—even a ponytail! Don’t worry about getting too complicated. Some of the prettiest summer styles take only a few seconds to do and look chic enough to go from day to night.
4. Slip into something flowy: When clothing gets too constricting, it just makes me feel even hotter than normal. I love loose, romantic tops and skirts in the summer because they don’t trap heat like the more tailored pieces do. You can even slip on a tunic or caftan—pair it with some sandals and you’re good to go.
5. Finish your shower with a blast of cold: Not only does it cool your whole body down instantly, but it will help you look better too! The cold H2O seals your hair cuticles, meaning less frizz. If you’re about to walk out the door, you can even pop your head into your freezer quickly. It sounds ridiculous, but trust me.
6. Lather on the sunscreen: You already do this, right? Go with a spray one for your body—it is so easy to apply and even feels cool going on.
This article is not intended to substitute for informed medical advice. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or condition. Always check with your doctor before changing your diet, altering your sleep habits, taking supplements, or starting a new fitness routine.